Skip to content
New study: effect of risk reduction with window ventilation and the operation of anti-viral air-conditioning devices on the spread of infectious diseases
New study: effect of risk reduction with window ventilation and the operation of anti-viral air-conditioning devices on the spread of infectious diseases

Press release -

New study shows: air purifiers significantly reduce aerosol infection risk with insufficient window ventilation

  • New study examines aerosol infection risk with window ventilation compared with antiviral air purifier AiroDoctor
  • Innovative air purifier reduces infection risk equally well or significantly better compared to window ventilation, best result achieved by a combination of both
  • As schools reopen, intensive window ventilation is a major challenge, experts call for air purifiers

Study examines aerosol infection risk reduction with traditional window ventilation and air purifiers

For a joint study from the Korea Institute of Construction Technology (KICT) and Yonsei University in Seoul published in the Korea Association for Particle and Aerosol Research Journal in September 2020, researchers investigated the risk of infection from infectious aerosols in a 50-square-meter daycare room containing one infected and 10 uninfected children. Different ventilation regimes were studied in each scenario (every two hours to more than three times per hour), which were compared to the performance of the AiroDoctor antiviral air purifier.
Further scenarios simulated the reduction of the risk of infection with regular ventilation in combination with simultaneous air purifier operation.

Download study: effect of risk reduction with window ventilation and the operation of anti-viral air-conditioning devices on the spread of infectious diseases

Additional use of air purifiers such as the AiroDoctor® significantly reduces risk of infection

The study clearly demonstrates the importance of air purifiers in daycare centers and schools to reduce the risk of infection via infectious aerosols. This was particularly noticeable when frequent window ventilation was not possible. For example, if the room was ventilated only every two hours, window ventilation itself reduced the risk by only 8%, while the AiroDoctor operated in the same time reduced the risk by an additional 48%. The total reduction was 56%. If the windows were ventilated every half hour, the AiroDoctor reduced the risk by an additional 35% to a total of almost 70%. Only frequent window ventilation performed as well as continuous operation of the air purifier in terms of infection risk (60% risk reduction each). And even here, a combination of both reduced the risk of infection by a further 17% to a total of 77%.

"This study shows us once again how important professional air purifiers are for use in daycare centers and schools. With the AiroDoctor® we want to help reduce the risk of infection via aerosols for children and young people. We furthermore believe that quiet and emission-free operation is particularly important at this point."

- Carsten Hermann, CEO ScreenSource GmbH and
co-developer of AiroDoctor

AiroDoctor is making progress globally with additional certifications and approvals.

Currently in the United States, the AiroDoctor meets U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requirements for U.S. commercial distribution as a medical device during the COVID-19 public health emergency. While it has not yet been FDA-cleared or approved for broader use, it is compliant with the FDA enforcement policy for medical ultraviolet air purifiers.

"We have already started the process to apply for full FDA review and approval of 510(k) Class II to take AiroDoctor’s medical device approval beyond the pandemic. ISO-13485 certification has approximately 95% overlap with the FDA, so we are confident with receiving approval, but of course, will follow proper steps for the FDA’s complete review."

- Carsten Hermann, CEO ScreenSource GmbH and co-developer of AiroDoctor

Related links

Subjects

Categories


AiroDoctor® is a trademark of ScreenSource GmbH based in Germany with offices in Germany, USA and South Korea. The international team with offices in Germany and South Korea consists, among others, of biochemists and product designers with origins in the research, development and production of innovative liquid crystal and OLED display technologies.

With its technological lead, the company has succeeded in the field of UV-A LED photocatalysis to achieve breakthrough results. The complete disinfection of air and elimination of infectious aerosols is a milestone. The close cooperation with the South Korean KICT, a governmental institute, has been a key driver.

Today, the solutions offered by ScreenSource GmbH are distributed worldwide and range from innovative display products to professional air purification solutions such as the AiroDoctor, which incorporates the technology used by governments and public institutions internationally in the fight to reduce the risk of SARS-CoV-2 (Coronavirus) infections and has been officially recommended since 2020.

"Our mission is to make human interaction and collaboration indoors more safely."

Press contacts

Carsten Hermann

Carsten Hermann

Press contact Founder & CEO +49 (0) 30 39886850
Andrea Guerra

Andrea Guerra

Press contact Sales Director International +49 30 398868502
Philipp Franke

Philipp Franke

Press contact Key Account Manager Germany +49 30 398868501

Related content

The world's first tested air purifier with a disinfection performance of 99.9% against bacteria and viruses in the air

Our company started with innovative solutions for retail and business environments and specialized in liquid crystal and transparent LCD and display technologies. Today, our solutions range from innovative display products to professional air purification solutions especially one of the first technologies recommended by the South Korean government in the fight to reduce the risk of SARS-CoV-2 (coronavirus) infections.

AiroDoctor® by ScreenSource GmbH
Köthener Str. 8
06779 Raguhn-Jessnitz
Deuschland